Mills Family

Friday, February 19, 2010

An Introduction to Communicationism

This summer, I was home from college working. I came and sat in the living room one night and looked around the room at my family members. There in the corner by the fireplace and wide-screen, high-def. TV sat my 16 year old sister. She had one headphone in her ear, one eye at the TV and the other on her computer screen where she checked email, chatted with friends and checked out her Facebook account. While all this was going on, she also was texting on her cell phone.

I couldn't help but laugh at how silly she looked trying to multitask with all those forms of communication devices. I looked back at when i was younger. I remember when my father brought home our first family computer and put the program AOL Online on it. It was beautiful! I remember entering my sign-on information and leaving to do something else for 20 minutes because of the dial-up connection, but I was fine with that!

It's amazing to see how far we have come in this world. Before the Guttenburg Printing Press, books were scarce and therefore, ideas themselves were scarce. What a miracle it is after more than 600 years later, that we have countless ways to communicate and share ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment